This has to be one of my favourite dinners right now! When you come home and need to rush to put food on the table, this honestly has to be one of the quickest and most delicious ways to do that. Of course as always, I sneak some greens into my meals and the spinach will not only bulk up the sauce but also give you those much needed vitamins and minerals we need.
When choosing your pasta sauce, napoletana, basil or arrabiata works best. Just try to opt for one that has low sugar and the least amount of ingredients as possible. I mix it up all the time, in terms of which brand I use and every country will differ in terms of what you can find in your local grocery store. But read your nutrition labels and make sure you can see and understand all the ingredients, because if it’s not in plain English it’s most likely not good for you. I’ve posted the one I get in Australia below. The whole jar contains 458 calories, which works perfectly for 4 portions. Also check out the ingredients list to see that it’s super minimal. Some sauces can really blow out on sugars and nasty oils, so just be mindful when choosing.
With only 3 main ingredients, this weeknight dinner is a delicious no-brainer. Enjoy!
Calories per serving = approx. 406
Seasoning, Sauces, Spices & Fats
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Jar of any Basil Napoletana Pasta sauce
- Salt (pink himalyan is always great) & pepper to season
- 1.1lbs chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- Half a bag of frozen spinach, organic if possible
- 1 packet of cooked whole grain pasta (this is to use for left overs, if you don't want left overs only cook half a packet. Each serve = 1/2 cup)
Handy Health Hack: To lower calories even further and to get more plant based foods aka vegetables into your meal, half the pasta serving to no more than 1/4 cup and add blanched zucchini noodles to bulk up the dish. If you are gluten intolerant, you can omit the pasta and just have the zucchini noodles or use gluten-free pasta!
1. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the cubed chicken breasts pieces to brown, season with salt and pepper and sauté until the chicken is cooked through.Simultaneously, place frozen spinach to cook halfway in a microwave safe container and microwave for 2-4 minutes.
3. Once the chicken is mostly cooked, take the spinach out of the microwave and add to the chicken, continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Simultaneously, begin cooking pasta according to packet instructions.
4. Add the pasta napoletana sauce to the pan and stir through thoroughly to completely mix in the chicken and spinach. Add a splash of hot water to create a looser sauce if you need to (in most cases you don’t need to). Gently simmer to cook through and to create a thicker sauce.
5. Once pasta is cooked, serve the pasta separately so you can measure out 1/2 cup serving easily and serve the chicken & spinach sugo on top. Keep any leftovers for lunch the next day. Enjoy!