Happy Thanksgiving to all of my North Americans! In honour of this annual holiday, and in the spirit of making healthier choices, we have made a healthy version of the humble pecan pie! With simple, easy steps and minimal ingredients, this dessert will have you wanting to go back for seconds.
With simple, easy steps and minimal ingredients, this dessert will have you wanting to go back for seconds. We also did some ground work and have found that the average slice of pecan pie sports a hefty 900 calories PER SLICE. This would send you way over the budget and better yet, you could have TWO servings of this slice recipe and still be under - and of course we haven't compromised taste 😉Better yet, if you wanted to reduce the calories of this recipe, you could even omit the decorative pecans on top and instead just top with 1 or 2 on each slice.
Ok with all of this pecan talk, I bet you're starting to drool. I wont lie, we have have already devoured (but also shared with friends and family 😉) the first recipe made and will definitely be making another! So without further ado, here is everything you will need to make the best pecan pie recipe this thanksgiving!!
Time: 40 - 45 mins
Calories (per serve): 440
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups dates
- 2 cups of pecans (1 cup to be blended, 1/4 cup roughly chopped and 3/4 left whole for topping)
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and prepare a baking tray (8x8inch) with baking paper.
2. Place all base ingredients into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Evenly press mixture into baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. The base should turn golden brown and not sink when pressed. Leave too cool.
4. Place all filling ingredients except 1 cup of pecans into a blender and blend until well combined. Fold the 1/4 cup of pecans into the mixture.
5. Once the base has cooled, spoon blended filling mixture on top and finally decorate with remaining 3/4 cup of pecans